Reply To: Teen Doesn’t Want to Grow Up

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Teens & Young Adults Teen Doesn’t Want to Grow Up Reply To: Teen Doesn’t Want to Grow Up

gwynnehoffecker
Participant

Oh my goodness! I didn’t know this was a thing! My daughter is 17 and a half, a senior. It started when she was about to turn 4. She made it known, quite adamantly, that she did NOT want to turn 4!!! Despite my attempt to turn things around by saying that NOT turning 4 would mean no birthday presents, or the big “Look who’s 4” button she refused to wear, she was adamant! There was no convincing her. Well, nothing has changed. She started her period at 13. You would have thought the world had ended. She was so upset and knew that meant she was growing up. Her older sister had started at 10 and it was fine for her. I kept holding my breath, hoping it wouldn’t be that early for the younger because I knew the world WOULD end! I’m so thankful it wasn’t until 13, but…the world almost ended. She has always refused sleep-overs and invites to friend’s houses, much-preferring friends to come here. She has major anxiety and depression as co-morbid conditions with her ADD. Even the family vacation to Texas a couple summers ago, brought tears daily as she asked to “just go home.” That “rule of thirds” makes so much sense! Despite her popularity with adults and peers, I’m not sure she will ever leave home or be able to handle more than 1 or 2 college classes at a time.