Reply To: Teen admittedly quit trying at school

ken_whitten2002
Participant

mom, I was your kid 45 years ago and my heart goes out to you. I actually got an F- in Spanish, seemed spiteful. I did manage to barely graduate and by the time I was 20 I had matured enough to get married and join the Air Force. I pretty much hated school after leaving a small elementary school where you had mostly the same kids in your class every year. If there is a way to get him in a situation he is more comfortable with that would have to help. I had a lot more freedom as a kid. We walked all over the place and I was always happy doing physical but not highly structured activities. I don’t know if kids get to build forts and collect snakes or just explore nature, but thats what got me through. I was remodeling a kitchen at that age but had a hard time even going to school. He may have to just grow through a few years and hope he doesn’t screw up his life. I sold pot in high school and fortunately never got caught. I will tell you what helped me but you have to understand I have zero professional experience in the matter, other than selling pot as a teenager. The secret to life at that point for me was smoking pot, it just had a magical effect of making me a little more socially adept and less spazzy for lack of a better term. Most of the pot out there will definitely make the motivational part worse, but I didn’t care at the time. Nowadays I guess if you are lucky enough to be in a state where it is legal they have strains of pot that are medicinal quality and have the traits that someone on adhd might appreciate. There is a strain called “Dutch Treat” that had a few people recommending it. Like me it sounds like his social maturity may be delayed and perhaps he doesn’t like big crowds, It sounds like he will be fine in a few years. My best to you and your son.