Reply To: I think my child has ADHD, but his Dr and teachers think otherwise.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child I think my child has ADHD, but his Dr and teachers think otherwise. Reply To: I think my child has ADHD, but his Dr and teachers think otherwise.

stephaniemowery81
Participant

Hi there,
I understand your frustration and concern completely. My son showed ADHD like symptoms starting around age 4 or 5 and they immediately diagnosed him ADHD, however it turns out that he actually has dyspraxia (sometimes also called Developmental Coordination Disorder). He is also under-responsive to sensory information, hence the hyperactivity and constant need to move and touch things. He is incredibly bright but has a difficult time sitting still and concentrating, and has benefited from years of OT, PT and ST. His dyspraxia is global and affects his ability to do those fine motor tasks like buttons and knots, as well as his ability to effectively communicate. I would definitely research it and see if it might fit his symptoms. Part of the problem is how little is known here in the US about dyspraxia (In England they know much more and know how to help students who suffer from this neurological condition). I ended up pulling him out of the public schools who just kept pushing me to medicate him when it won’t help because it isn’t ADHD. He has surpassed his peers now that we homeschool him, while he was very behind when we started. While this might not be something feasible for your family, understanding his needs and advocating on his behalf for an effective IEP that allows for more time for testing, adequate exercise and activity breaks, maybe even typing instead of writing if his fine motor skills are keeping him from being able to keep up. An OT can identify any sensory issues as well and offer help for the hyperactivity. My son has benefited greatly from sensory brushing and sensory swinging. Good luck and I hope you find your answers!