Reply To: Don't know where to start

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Teens & Young Adults Don't know where to start Reply To: Don't know where to start

barkeli
Participant

Your story has struck me to the core. I wasn’t diagnosed with ADHD until I was 36 but always knew I had it. Just had those parents who said, “get your head out of your a$$ and focus.” Boy, do I resent them to this day for that because since I did not get the proper help I needed, I struggled through school and eventually dropped out. Never went to college and by the grace of some higher power (most likely just me busting my a$$) I am successful!

Fast forward to me being a mom of an 11-year-old boy who was diagnosed with ADHD and SPD in Kindergarten. He started middle school this year and we knew it would be difficult because his struggle has always been with the organization. Learning has never been hard for him, but remaining focused and organized in middle school has been one giant disaster. So much so that he was recently diagnosed with anxiety/depression because he’s expressed the thought of suicide to us a couple of times. He says that it’s just too much pressure and the expectation of him is too much especially since he’s a “smart” kid.

I find myself obsessing over how I can help him because I don’t want him to feel this way and I want him to be proud of who he is but I always end up feeling so lost. 🙁