Reply To: New to dating a guy with ADHD – Need advice

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Spouses & Loved Ones New to dating a guy with ADHD – Need advice Reply To: New to dating a guy with ADHD – Need advice

Patrick
Participant

I take my medication everyday and it is vital for my success. (I am on 20mg of extended release Adderall) Although I have had problems recently forgetting if I have taken it or not. I always carry a few extra in my bag in case I forget to take it or I stay the night at my girlfriends.
I had had therapy and counseling in the past but have not had any since I graduated college 6 years ago.
The 12 steps have helped me with my personal awareness because they have taken me through a process of looking at my past, seeing a pattern of behavior, what part I have played in troubles in my life, allowing me to take responsibility for my actions, then looking at traits and behaviors that I want to have and working towards becoming that person.
I am not sure if your boyfriend has addiction issues, so I can only speak for myself. But when I realized that my ADHD and my alcoholism were connected and they could never managed separately, there was a big improvement.