Reply To: looking back,what advice would you give your parents about treating you?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Teens and Young Adults with ADHD looking back,what advice would you give your parents about treating you? Reply To: looking back,what advice would you give your parents about treating you?

bkitchin1
Participant

go to Dr. Amen’s website – he’s my adhd guru
he’s written lots of books/videos
try the 7 typed of add

we are worthy as we are – but we have special brains that are delicate
our brains need special things to make them run better – i.e. meds, fish oil, etc.
we absolutly need structure/routine kids will push boundaries, but they also make us feel safe
how would you like driving with no laws, no speed limits, no rules, no police – sounds like fun for a minute then scary unsafe
having structure is what we do at school and it’s not mean. If you don’t have structure you don’t get things done.
It feels good to know that after I do this…then we do this… No structure feels insecure – what will happen next?
like kids with 2 houses and 2 sets of rules have a hard time because of trying to handle two different structures.
If you don’t have structure you would eat a different times everyday (not good for your body) and sleep at different times
(not good for brain or body) you need structure to have a job, be on time for appts, a million things
structure is our friend. I’m a teacher and when I’m on vacation with no structure – I don’t get things done – and it makes me
mad at myself.
kids don’t like things “that are good for you” i.e. vegetables, sleep, exercise – but we still have to give them what they need
not what they want!
keep reading and help him – just like every mom (not just adhd mom) all kids resist but that doesn’t mean they aren’t good enough
let him know what you are working on – (losing weight, cleaning, not smoking, drinking, etc. – everyone has things they are working on – not just him!)