Reply To: Concerta36 first days

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Concerta36 first days Reply To: Concerta36 first days

Penny Williams
Keymaster

It’s rarely a good idea to start two new medications at once. Not only can it be a shock to the system, but you can’t pinpoint which is helping and which is causing issues.

There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both. Your son was on a methylphenidate then changed to an amphetamine, while adding a mood drug at the same time. If it were me, I’d let the prescribing doctor know I want to determine which type of stimulant works for my child first, then add something additional if necessary.

My son takes methylphenidates well, but turns angry and aggressive on amphetamines.

The meltdowns at school could be completely independent of medication too. It could be anxiety, or triggered by something happening at school (being misunderstood, teachers pushing to “try harder,” kids picking on him, etc…). To change a behavior, you have to find out WHY it’s happening and work on that. Medication alone won’t help meltdowns when they are triggered by something other than medication.

Penny
ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism