Reply To: Should my 6th grade ADHD son be back in elementary school?? What is going on??

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Should my 6th grade ADHD son be back in elementary school?? What is going on?? Reply To: Should my 6th grade ADHD son be back in elementary school?? What is going on??

harrisdoreen08
Participant

This is only my experience, but hope it is helpful… My son has graduated high school now; however, his ADHD went undiagnosed until now. He was compensating and we didn’t realize. He recently explained to me that every year, school got harder and harder, because he’d miss key concepts. He thinks in terms of puzzles… where all the extra variants teachers share just become confusing- then, they may switch to a new topic while he’s tuned them out in an attempt not to get confused by the extra information, ad wham! he’s missed a key concept.

The other big insight he recently shared was in reading comprehension- used to read the answers first and then scroll for something that looked reasonable in the paragraphs, because he couldn’t recall the long paragraphs- he’d have to keep re-starting after the first few sentences.

My son’s challenges remained unaddressed because he managed to still get As and Bs, but he was really struggling for them. Once he hit high school, there was no help, and it was scary how he started to feel dumb. It’s inly mow that we are healing from the public education systems and he’s been educating me in how he learns differently.
I hope this helps you, and please get your son extra help in the form of an IEP, and simply talk with his teachers more (not in feomt of him… that’s the worst) to see what they can do to help his learning environment by possibly keepimg to straightforward teaching, and maybe alerting when they are offering “alternatives” vs “new material”

My heart goes out to you and your son, he needs your advocacy. Thanks for continuing to reseaech and seek answers!! (and please excuse any typos… I’m awful typing on my phone!)