Reply To: looking back,what advice would you give your parents about treating you?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Teens and Young Adults with ADHD looking back,what advice would you give your parents about treating you? Reply To: looking back,what advice would you give your parents about treating you?

Penny Williams
Keymaster

Here’s a great essay from a teen with ADHD on how his mom helped him succeed.

“Mom Always Treated ADHD As a Difference, Not a Deficiency.”

I actually interviewed and surveyed adults with ADHD a couple years ago for a book I was writing. I found that the common thread from all 97 of them was that those whose ADHD wasn’t acknowledged or was misunderstood wanted understanding and to be believed when they described their struggles, and those who felt good about their childhood and successful as adults said that their parents worked to understand and support their differences and needs. They described that it felt like their parent was in their corner and had their back.

They were more split on the issue of medication. Many wished it had been offered to them, but some who took medication wished it hadn’t been forced on them. Of course, many of these adults were kids in an era when we had one or two medications and no time-release formulations, etc., so the medication experience was tougher for many.

And, focus more on positives than weaknesses.

More Than His ADHD

Penny
ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism