Reply To: looking back,what advice would you give your parents about treating you?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Teens and Young Adults with ADHD looking back,what advice would you give your parents about treating you? Reply To: looking back,what advice would you give your parents about treating you?

bkitchin1
Participant

ps
there are lots of different meds
just like lots of different birth control pills, – some make you break out, nauseous, gain weight – so you try a differnet one
you can take advil, tylenol, aspirin – different meds for headaches
so don’t give up if one type doesn’t work
I have seen miracles
last year my kinder student stalked a girl, choked, kicked, spit, profanities, etc and put everything in his mouth
so no crayons, scissors, etc. On meds – he changed to a great kid (not perfect…meds don’t make you perfect) but a great kid
but the most important thing is that it helps your child succeed at school – which is pretty much their life
so try to find outside things they are GOOD at, because you have to be successful to feel good about yourself
many add kids are good at art, sports – so find their passion and enrich that area
my brother struggled in school but was football and basketball captain
also let your child see what you struggle with
I’m working on my diet, my cleaning, my smoking…. so that they know they’re not the only ones who have a challenge.
Everyone is working on something (hence new years resoloutions)