Reply To: looking back,what advice would you give your parents about treating you?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Teens and Young Adults with ADHD looking back,what advice would you give your parents about treating you? Reply To: looking back,what advice would you give your parents about treating you?

AutumnDraidean
Participant

I’m a 51 year old woman with probable ADD. I was medicated as a kid and they withdrew the meds in adolescence as was the practice around 1980 or so. Two things I wish had happened differently for me was real ongoing help at school, both with staying organized and on task, and with the social stuff, I was the picked on child and I was told that if I ignored them they would stop. Horse Hockey!! Of course they didn’t and my self esteem took a major hit.

Unless you have good reason to believe the school won’t step up properly you should discuss this with them and get their input and your son’s as well. Some teachers have the touch with these children and can find the right balance of praise and push to help your son, plus their observations along with the input of the school nurse and the school counselor can be enormously helpful in helping him balance it out, it’s also helpful if you do try meds again, to work out a plan so he can have the lowest effective dose. Can you get a pediatric psychiatrist involved or at least find a local pediatrician with an interest and expertise in ADHD.

I am now an RN and I substitute for school nurses in several districts and I’ve seen that there are numerous different medications and regimens that can be set up to help, and having the school in the loop might mean smaller, more frequent doses and fewer side effects then from longer acting drugs.

I don’t know where you live, but if you live in a more densely populated area you might find resources on local mommy boards on the internet.