Reply To: looking back,what advice would you give your parents about treating you?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Teens and Young Adults with ADHD looking back,what advice would you give your parents about treating you? Reply To: looking back,what advice would you give your parents about treating you?

Just Waking Up
Participant

I was put on medication when I was 2 years old for ADHD. I recently became aware my mother is a narcissistic mother. As a result,I spent nearly 40 years living in an altered perception of reality. Living with ADHD is a struggle, for both me and my family. I tell my son who also has it, he has super powers. My only advice is when talking to your child, build him up. When he does anything good, tell him,”you should be proud of you,”rather than,”I’m proud of you.” Encourage him every chance you get. There are many coping skills you can teach him. This can be challenging at times, but you both can be better for it. One thing especially, don’t place the blame on him making him feel worse. And don’t blame yourself. ADHD isn’t some horrible life sentence, it can actually be a blessing. I don’t know if this will help at all, but I’ve been both the child with ADHD and the parent of a child with ADHD.