Reply To: Scared of Student Support Meeting – 15 year old son newly diagnosed

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Scared of Student Support Meeting – 15 year old son newly diagnosed Reply To: Scared of Student Support Meeting – 15 year old son newly diagnosed

Penny Williams
Keymaster

The psych was probably saying it would be a battle to get accommodations or services because he has been successful in school, even with honors classes. However, the law says that grades are not the only measure of academic success — behavior, emotional health, and social success are all part of the academic experience as well.

10 Myths About School Laws for ADHD Services

It’s astonishing that he’s been able to do so well with dyslexia and dysgraphia for so long without help in school. If he needs the accommodations though, you should absolutely fight for them. I am also very non-confrontational (social anxiety), but I learned over the years that my son having successes at school and feeling comfortable at school was what mattered most. I still go into every IEP meeting as though we’re a team and we all want the same thing — what’s best for my son. But, over the years, I have had to be confrontational. And, when it came down to it, I didn’t even hesitate, because I was fighting for my kid.

Here’s a guide on making school meetings count:

How to Make School Meetings Count: Your Free Guide

Penny
ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism