Reply To: Overwhelmed and Exhausted Single Mom of 5 yr old with ADHD

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Overwhelmed and Exhausted Single Mom of 5 yr old with ADHD Reply To: Overwhelmed and Exhausted Single Mom of 5 yr old with ADHD

Ruth Ann
Participant

My son has ADHD and is extremely dyslexic. He is now 13. I have found different diets to have little or no effect (barring an out and out meal of sugar). What I have found most effective is me. When I start doubting myself as a mom. When I start becoming discouraged. When I let my frustration become larger than my love. When I am responding (rightfully) in anger… He tends to escalate more easily when he sees me escalate. My 16 year old is ADD and ODD so the above feelings are well known to me. The best solution I have found is confidence in me. When I trust that I am a good mother and truly, truly, truly believe that he will come out all the other side of this BECAUSE I am a GOOD MOTHER the atmosphere calms. It is going to be a marathon but you MUST believe in yourself. You are here so he will be all right. Keep trying, keep going to the doctors and trying the meds, keep working at it and most of all, keep believing…. He needs you to believe in him MOST. Prayers to you….