Reply To: Treating side effects with OTHER meds? Help!

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child Treating side effects with OTHER meds? Help! Reply To: Treating side effects with OTHER meds? Help!

fosterbelieve771
Participant

I can only speak from my experience, in having been medicated for symptoms caused by other meds. I do not think it is appropriate. I am on nothing now and copying very well, with taking Omega 3 fish oil, and talk therapy. I structure my life, and keep distractions to a minimum. I go to bed at around the same time, get exercise, and eat healthy and balanced.
I suggest, you try and record, the data of one strategy that is best practice (research based) and track the behavior you are trying to improve. For a period of 5-7 days, after the strategy is implemented. Track it at the same time of day, at several points in the day.
One defined behavior, you chose.
If the behavior gets better. Great!
You found a strategy, that has been effective.
I’d like to be positive and say there is a one size fits all. But as an individual with a disability, we all struggle with something a little different. And working out of your child strength, is much more of a positive solution.
Find his strengths, support him positively, reinforce good behavior, and remember he is not broken but in need of support to get through this.
You are capable, and ask the school to help with best practices known to be effective.