Reply To: Overwhelmed and Exhausted Single Mom of 5 yr old with ADHD

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Overwhelmed and Exhausted Single Mom of 5 yr old with ADHD Reply To: Overwhelmed and Exhausted Single Mom of 5 yr old with ADHD

gefisher
Participant

You are so not alone! That was my son and my first two years of school experience (PreK and kindergarten). It is so incredibly frustrating, and I had many tearful nights. We had the severe ADHD and ODD diagnosis. We had to fight the stigma that he knew what he was doing and could help it. We started with Tenex with some positive results, and had to explain to the school that it won’t stop the outbursts, but he would be calmer when he had them. We changed to Intuniv, which is the long-acting version of Tenex, and it has been amazing. I agree with an above post that you need to request an FBA to help determine why the behavior happens and to give the teachers education on how to manage or prevent the behavior from happening. Eventually, to my disagreement, we were made to go to a Positive Behavior Support room, with other children who have extreme behaviors. At least he is with staff who understands him (and he seems to do better in a smaller classroom), but they are supposed to work on bringing him back to the gen ed room. Stay strong, go with your gut! Lots of hugs!🤗