Reply To: Overwhelmed and Exhausted Single Mom of 5 yr old with ADHD

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Overwhelmed and Exhausted Single Mom of 5 yr old with ADHD Reply To: Overwhelmed and Exhausted Single Mom of 5 yr old with ADHD

When it comes to school it is imperative to let the staff know, teachers know, that your child can’t and won’t fit into the standard student box. My son is now 11 and the only thing the school cared about was his behavior and NOT his academics. They even tried to convince me that he wasn’t ready for school and to enroll him later. You have to fight for your baby. As a mother of a child with ADHD, ODD, & IED, I had to learn that my fight will be one that will last his entire school career. It is important to let that teacher know that her success does not come along with teaching all the regular kids but in be I g able to handle the extraordinary ones. Things will get better as long as you learn you child’s triggers. I wish you the best of luck and stay strong. Your child will be grateful you didn’t give up like today’s teachers are so quick to do. In most cases with ADD, behavior is the only excuse a non committed teacher can give in order to give up.