Reply To: Starting school soon and I don't know what to do

Penny Williams
Keymaster

I would wait another year to start him. My son also turned 5 in October. We saw how wicked smart he was, and I was a late October kid and did well in school. If I could turn back time…

Kindergarten was one of the worst years of my life, and it wasn’t a picnic for him either. 1st-4th were brutal as well. At the end of 4th grade, we put our foot down and fought to have him repeat 4th grade. He was so far behind the other kids socially and emotionally, and with skills. He was always bullied and excluded. It was so awful. I knew he needed that extra year to put him a little closer to his peers, and he actually wanted to repeat because he was scared to move on when he was struggling so much. Having him repeat is one of the best choices we have made for him.

Of course, for many years now (he’s 15, 9th grade) I have kicked myself over and over for starting him young and not having him repeat Kindergarten or a much earlier grade.

Lastly, I just want to add that ADHD medications have come a long way since the time you were probably a kid. Your experience won’t necessarily be your experience. We had to try many medications for my son, but when we got to the right one it has made such a huge difference for him. He actually wants to take it because he knows how much it helps. Of course, medication is a personal decision, but I wanted to share those insights with you.

Penny
ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism