Reply To: WARNING – A new generic Methylphenidate Er tab hit the market in December 2016

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child WARNING – A new generic Methylphenidate Er tab hit the market in December 2016 Reply To: WARNING – A new generic Methylphenidate Er tab hit the market in December 2016

Pump2Duncan
Participant

I just dealt with this with Walgreens. I had signed up for one of their online accounts and saw that they had filled my son’s Concerta medication with the Mallinckrodt generic (gray oblong pill with M 27) instead of the Actavis brand (gray cylinder ALZA 27) like they normally do. I called them up and stated I did not want the Mallinckrodt generic because the FDA said it was not bio-equivalent to Concerta and to please order the Actavis generic. If you google Mallinckrodt, FDA Notice, Concerta Generic you should be able to find the FDA studies that show their generic does not work the same as Concerta and the FDA has asked them to voluntarily remove their drug from the market, but the drug marker has refused.

The pharmacist said it was just a different manufacturer, no big deal. That they simply didn’t have enough of the Actavis in stock to fill my son’s prescription so they filled it with the Mallinckrodt instead. I stuck to my guns and insisted that my son had enough of the medication on hand to wait for the Actavis order to become available. This time it only took 2 days, but they did fill it with what I know works.

If you fill at Walgreens, I’d recommend getting their online account. It will show you the medication they have filled the prescription with before you go pick up the prescription, so if there are any issues, you’ll know beforehand. It will at least save you the headache of wasting a trip to the pharmacy.