Reply To: I'm overwhelmed

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents I'm overwhelmed Reply To: I'm overwhelmed

Penny Williams
Keymaster

The list of medications your daughter has tried really struck me — they are all methylphenidates. There are two types of stimulants for ADHD: methylphenidates (Ritalin, Concerta, Metadate, Daytrana, Quillivant, etc) and amphetamines (Vyvanse, Adderall, Evekeo…).

Most people do well on one type or the other, but not both. That would suggest, with your doctor’s input and advice, of course, that she try an amphetamine, as she is likely to do better with that type.

More details on that here:

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

ADHD Coaching may be more effective for your daughter, given she’s a teenager. Coaches focus more on tailoring strategies and creating and achieving personal goals, all given the fact that the client has ADHD.

FAQ About ADHD Coaching

There’s also a great website for teens with ADHD, created by a (then) teen with ADHD: http://addyteen.com. See if she’s interested in checking it out.

Penny
ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism