Reply To: Overwhelmed and Exhausted Single Mom of 5 yr old with ADHD

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Overwhelmed and Exhausted Single Mom of 5 yr old with ADHD Reply To: Overwhelmed and Exhausted Single Mom of 5 yr old with ADHD

katherine4
Participant

Have you looked into the gaps diet? It’s radical but some say it helps. If not gaps, then a basic dietary suggestion would be to eliminate sugar and all processed foods, eat only whole grains (that doesn’t include “whole grain” processed bread bought at the grocery store) full fat raw dairy, quality free range and grass fed animal products, and fermented foods (see the wapf diet which is along the same lines as gaps). One of the results of these diets is improving gut health which can affect brain and neurological health, not to mention overall physical health.

Have you read the book(s) by Russell Barkley? I read the kazdin method which is not exactly the same program recommended by Barkley, but it’s similar.

Does your son get a lot of physical activity each day?

Also, have you ever heard of a physical therapy called the Mustagova Method? It’s not common but it seems to have helped my daughter calm down.

One other idea would be a magnesium supplement or Epsom salts in the bath or both.

Lastly, check out “parenting passageway” which isn’t ADD related, but offers good parenting advice in general, along with the website “aha parenting”

Do not give up! There are solutions out there that you will never hear about from drs whose only suggestion will be to medicate. I’m not saying that medication is never called for but it doesn’t get to the root of the problem.

Oh, and I almost forgot, get rid of all video games and drastically limit tv. And NEVER tv before bed. Make going to bed early and getting enough sleep a big priority!

Good luck to you!!