Reply To: ADD and redundant/lengthy explanations drive me crazy! Anyone else?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond ADD and redundant/lengthy explanations drive me crazy! Anyone else? Reply To: ADD and redundant/lengthy explanations drive me crazy! Anyone else?

astrid.voura
Participant

DRIVES ME NUTS TOO!

I understand that my frustration comes from my lack of patience. I loose patience because I can easily become distracted by details and loose sight of the main point. So if what I’m being told isn’t quick and concise my time/energy is being wasted, especially when it comes to the workplace.

However, I’m aware that my ADHD used to make me jump to conclusions/anticipate points of discussion which can a) be rude, and b)make the discussion even longer if i’m wrong.

I say used to, because I’ve taught myself to be more patient which was V HARD but has since gotten easier with medication.

Now, it still drives me nuts when people meander in storytelling or instruction but I try to active listen by summarizing what they’ve said, get the confirmation that I understand correctly, then move on.

But let me tell you, all genders meander and over explain, some of the worst windbags have been men “mansplaining” to me because they assume that I don’t know the topic of discussion or…… maybe they just like to sound smart/important/their own voice.

hah!

But I appreciate that you’re aware you’re making generalizations *thumbs up*