Reply To: Should my 6th grade ADHD son be back in elementary school?? What is going on??

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Should my 6th grade ADHD son be back in elementary school?? What is going on?? Reply To: Should my 6th grade ADHD son be back in elementary school?? What is going on??

randerson12
Participant

As a special education teacher, I see this in most of my students who have ADD/ADHD. I would suggest speaking with your IEP team to discuss the use of speech-to-text readers to help with writing assignments. Many of my students find that they are much more fluent speakers than they are writers as it is very hard for them to split their focus between the two parts: thinking about the topic and the actions of writing. Unfortunately, poor handwriting seems to be a common attribute that makes school harder for students with ADD/ADHD. Some students find that cursive is easier as it is more fluid, but others struggle with re-learning how to write.

One thing I do with my students is have them fill out a daily homework sheet that each teacher signs stating that the homework listed is correct. These sheets are brightly colored cardstock so that students can find them easily in their bags. I also have a signature line on them for parents so that they can let the teachers and myself know that they saw them that evening. Just having something as a daily communication between school and home has really reduced student stress as they are no longer worrying if they can remember everything when they get home. Parents seem to like it as this way they are informed of what their child should be working on at home.