Reply To: Drugs for my 12 year old son – scared!

Chernandez103116
Participant

I am adhd and all of my 4 children ages 15 12 11 and 10 are as well. I understand the trouble and worry your going through. After a37 Year’s of being diagnosed with by polar on anti depressants all my life all I felt wad depressed but finally they diagnosed that I had adhd and boy was they right. Looking back at all the struggles I had. Never understood it till now yes I take adderall but I wish I would of started earlier as you grow u can understand and focus on what your body is going threw. Yes it’s good to give breaks. But medication is not the only key.patients and helping them cope and understand why they feel the way they do and how to cope with it rather throwing a tantrum or getting emotional. I was hesitant at first but seeing the difference that it had made in my life it’s the most effective way in my opinion and I don’t want my kids to have to go threw what I did. Either way u choose vitamins or prescriptions they have to learn. To understand it. My 12 year old daughter and 15 year old son take it rather well. They have there frustrations and emotional moments but I talk them through it. Yes raking them of and on is good so they won’t rely on them as they grow they will notice the difference their brains will catch it eventually and they can start making a habit and start doing it on their own. Any real concerns though when in doubt ask a doctor and get the full break down before u make a decision and do what u feel is comfortable. Try vitamins and if it fails might want to consider it. Teenage years is much harder to be able to reason with that’s why I went. With meds. They have to see it for themselves or they think it’s completely nonsense. Good luck