Reply To: Should my 6th grade ADHD son be back in elementary school?? What is going on??

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Should my 6th grade ADHD son be back in elementary school?? What is going on?? Reply To: Should my 6th grade ADHD son be back in elementary school?? What is going on??

jolanda.tichelaar
Participant

Hello,
Does your son demonstrate ODD behavior at home as well? ADHD kids can be defiant especially at school. Also I’m wondering why your son is taking Resperidone. This is usually used for aggression. It sounds as if the ADHD meds are not working for him. My daughter was diagnosed with ADHD and ODD in grade 7. She started with Ritalin, (made things worse) switched to Vyvanse (a disaster) and now she is on Concerta (wonderful). She can concentrate better, sleep and control her hyperactivity so that it is managable and she is no longer defiant, which makes me doubt the ODD diagnosis since there is no medication for ODD.
My son (severe ADHD) also was not able to write legible at all, he learned to write slower, use a different type of pen, and made use of a computer when he was allowed. Once he had medication that worked for him he was able to write neater because according to him the words no longer danced all over the page. I homeschooled my son for 4 years which helped him get his self-esteem back and learn coping skills. Has the school done an ed-psych assessment? This might pinpoint what his academic strengths and needs are along with recommendations for accommodations and adaptations. I’ve learned in the past 18 years to advocate and fight for my kids, to work with them and not against them and to never give up on them.
All the best.