Reply To: Should my 6th grade ADHD son be back in elementary school?? What is going on??

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Should my 6th grade ADHD son be back in elementary school?? What is going on?? Reply To: Should my 6th grade ADHD son be back in elementary school?? What is going on??

ekoeser
Participant

Have him tested for learning diablities. Many times kids with ADHD have dislexia amd many times does not show up until 4th, 5th, or for sure by 6th grade. Kids with dislexia have very high IQs and great at memorizing so this could be why he is good at spelling. But awful handwriting and slow reading and competition is not great.

Because my child had low Bs and high Cs the district would not test him so I went to the University in my city and had him tested through the testing center for half the price of a private psychology clinic.

I then brought the test results to the school and now he is being accepted to the program for kids with dislexia and getting the help he needs before we get to Junior High. They will also set up accommodations for the standard testing and when he has to take the SAT for college then he can have that test read to him as well.

The compliance counselor at my son’s school is fantastic and walked me though the entire process from now until college.

We just started the program but I am already seeing a difference especially in his confidence!

Worth a shot and if you can get your distinct to do the testing then it will be no charge to you and at least you will know.

Good luck mama worrier! Hope this advice leads you to some answers!