Reply To: Should my 6th grade ADHD son be back in elementary school?? What is going on??

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Should my 6th grade ADHD son be back in elementary school?? What is going on?? Reply To: Should my 6th grade ADHD son be back in elementary school?? What is going on??

ronpatnelson
Participant

In your IEP program, have the requirement for a foreign language dropped and replaced with a typing program designed for him. If there isn’t a class use a computer program. Ask for a dual grade separating content from mechanics on written assignments or to be able to do some reports orally on tape. It sounds like you are chasing medications side effects with other medication. If this hasn’t been done, I would get with doctors and teachers for a dosage trail. Go a weekend with no medication and then restart at 5mg of generic short acting Adderall (cheapest insurance plan) 3 times a day. Raise 5mg every few days with teachers, parents, sibling, club leaders rating a list of behaviors that they see in their environment with your son. The behaviors could be hand writing quality, ability to change task, attention, etc. The scale could simply be: much worse, worse, no change, better, or a lot better. I have seen two children who at 2nd grade had a night and day difference on 2.5 mg versus 10mg. Since they were started at 10mg, the correct dosage was missed.