Reply To: Should my 6th grade ADHD son be back in elementary school?? What is going on??

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Should my 6th grade ADHD son be back in elementary school?? What is going on?? Reply To: Should my 6th grade ADHD son be back in elementary school?? What is going on??

sandman2
Participant

I am wondering if he hides his homework because his meds have worn off and it is difficult for him to concentrate. Does he try to do his homework right after school?

Speaking of meds. I don’t understand your statement that he needs some several times a day. Concerta should be good for 8 to 10 hours if properly dosed. The other two are only given once a day typically. If you need to give the Concerta more then once a day, he may be underdosed. Have you tried a medication like Vyvanse? It is adderall based and thus stronger. It also lasts 10 to 12 hours and is much smoother as it releases. While we are on the subject. I do not like to give kids Risperdone! It is not recommended because of its side effects and especially at his age, they can be a problem. Look them up. If anxiety is a problem, then try something like Lexapro and Celexa. But really look into getting him (slowly) off of Risperdone. Intuniv has had lots of good reports. I would be curious to know what other meds he has been on. Hopefully not Prozac! Has he had the same prescribing doc the whole time? Anyway, have a talk with his doctor.

Finally, the title of this is indicates you are wondering if he should be back at elementary school. Speaking as a former elementary and middle school teacher and elementary school principal I would say NO. Work with his teachers, the school and the special ed department. Also, ADDitude has lots of help ideas for home and school work. The adjustment to middle school is a big one, but it can be done. By the way… a foreign language is typically all vocabulary at this stage. You need to know the words he needs to know, and then its just practice. A little bit at a time. Learn along with him.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, please ask.