Reply To: Mom's with ADHD-Who else feels like a failure??

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Women & Girls Mom's with ADHD-Who else feels like a failure?? Reply To: Mom's with ADHD-Who else feels like a failure??

shellgraphics
Participant

Thank you, Thank you, everyone for your honest and encouraging replies. My feelings have subsided a little for now because I have reached out and I am receiving help through a therapist, I am trying to workout more, and most importantly I have realized that I have to take better care of myself as someone mentioned above. I just feel like a I will always struggle to feel like a grown-up because of my struggle to not filter my thoughts and to blurt out truth bombs that may not be appropriate for me to say to certain age groups at certain times. I have heard my oldest say to our family friend, “why can’t mom just act like a mom and just stop talking or just do all the chores for us like other Moms do. I struggle to be myself around my children because I feel like if I am then I am not acting “adult” enough and not providing the consistency that they need. This trait makes it tough to be the “authority figure” as a parent because my tendency is to smooth things over, give in, or shut down and escape. I appreciate the feedback as I continue to tread on through this journey and I really appreciate the advice and stories that each of you has shared with me.