Reply To: Do I have ADHD?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Do I have ADHD? Reply To: Do I have ADHD?

Wahoo27
Participant

Speaking of whether or not a person actually has ADHD, we have been going through that for awhile with our daughter, 26. She has Asperger’s (now autism spectrum disorder, but many still use the more specific term because conveys more info), so there is some overlap between the two conditions especially with regard to executive function challenges, which are her biggest problems. I just listened to the podcast on this website with Dr. William Dodson, https://www.additudemag.com/podcast-emotions-and-adhd-william-dodson/ where he talks about the definition of ADHD. He asserts that in order to have ADHD you MUST have at least one parent with the condition. Yet neither my husband nor myself have ADHD. Now, I’ve never heard that before. Can someone please comment on that? We really need to get this cleared up for a lot reasons, as you can well imagine. Thank you to all who comment for sharing your knowledge with us.