Reply To: Finding Your Tribe…Long Post

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Behavior & Discipline Finding Your Tribe…Long Post Reply To: Finding Your Tribe…Long Post

bechra
Participant

I had undiagnosed ADHD until I was in my mid 40s. While growing up, I was socially awkward. Fortunately, my father was in the Air Force and we moved frequently. At the time, I hated it, BUT, it was great for me socially. With every move, I acquired a new set of classmates who had not experienced my earlier social awkwardness. As I gained skills, I was less far behind. 12 moves later (not equally spaced, there were 3 schools in 3rd grade!) I started 12th grade fairly equal with my peers. It was my best year of school! I fell in with a group of Christian students and spent the next 3 years with them before transferring from the Jr College to the university. I’m still in touch with some of them, and I graduated in 1971!

I’m on medicine now and would not think of trying to function without it. I home schooled my son and daughter. He has ADHD, OCD, Dyslexia and depression. She has ADD, OCD, Dyslexia, Depression and mild ODD. He scored so high on the AVSBAB, the military entrance exam, that he was eligible to join the most elite unit of the Oregon Coast Guard! She graduated from the university with high honors in German with an emphasis on linguistics! I was very blessed to be able to home school them.

So, a move may be the best thing for him. Smaller classes have less antagonists, but larger groups have more choices for friends. Only you can decide what’s right for him.