Reply To: ADD and redundant/lengthy explanations drive me crazy! Anyone else?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond ADD and redundant/lengthy explanations drive me crazy! Anyone else? Reply To: ADD and redundant/lengthy explanations drive me crazy! Anyone else?

carley
Participant

My husband can turn a 1hr meeting into 3hrs (he works from home). He says it’s because his clients won’t stop talking… but he’s the one who won’t stop talking. It drives me insane!
He will try to explain something to me and I will smile and nod and make hand gestures and attempt to talk over him, then 10mins later, when he’s finally finished and I can get a word in, I can tell him that I’m not an idiot and I understood in the first 30sec. I also will often go on to explain that when I’m nodding and doing those hand gestures and so on, that he doesn’t have to keep explaining.
When I explain something to him, he sits patiently and listens. I usually get right to the point, but he just looks blankly at me, so I try again to explain in a different way… I sometimes explain it 5-10 times before I finally explode with “I don’t know how else to explain it!” And he’ll tell me that he got it the first time. “Then why didn’t you nod or say ‘uh-huh’ or SOMETHING to indicate that you understood! Then I wouldn’t have gone on for another 10 minutes!!!”