Reply To: Help – ADD, or something else?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Help – ADD, or something else? Reply To: Help – ADD, or something else?

El
Participant

Hello!

I’m a 58 year old female and I learned I have ADD/ADHD when my son was diagosed about 17 years ago. Looking back, as I learn more about ADHD, I realize that the poetry and art that would flow through me as I hyperfocused finding just the right words and images at odd hours, was probably ADHD-related and I didn’t know. I just thought I was creative, sensitive, artistically expressive, overly empathetic — and the struggles with relationships were probably due to too many moves, my shyness and a dysfunctional family.

I think it’s important to get a diagnosis. I got one for my son and later went to a professional for a diagnosis and explained why. I also have been in counseling for about 25 years. I did start taking medication about 15 years ago and this, along with skills and strategies learned through good therapy, has made a positive difference. However, I haven’t been coached specifically as ADHD relates to work — and right now am pretty miserable in an unstructured educational administrative positive with multiple tiers of “customers” to support with unclear supervision and expectations. The classroom gave me structure and creativity that I didn’t realize would not be part of my current position. Now I realize I do much better with structure to stay organized, but also have “room” for being creative and spontaneous when I need to.

I don’t know if this helps, but this position started out appearing creative with freedom and leadership opportunities. However, the position wasn’t well planned, has messy boundaries and continues to change. It’s been difficult to meeting the changing expectations of numerous people who need support and has led to some conflict, learning by stepping on toes and has knocked at my self-confidence. I’ve been told I’m too enthusiastic and need to stay focused on my “to do” list, and though I’m an administrator, the position has little authority. Not a great place for someone with ADHD to be.

I, too, have always wanted to publish books and previously worked as a professional writer in private industry. . . I have no idea where to begin with that dream. I just know I need to find a place where I can be successful and be appreciated for enthusiasm, independence and creative thinking — and I think this all is related to ADHD qualities. Once I feel like I’m grounded, I can dream about my passions again 🙂

BTW — Yoga and meditation help me immensely. . . when I practice and teach yoga, I feel centered and confident regardless of what’s going on around me.

Would you be more encouraged to write and send to the publisher if you had a partner working with you? I know when I think about working independently, it feels more comfortable to work with a partner.

I hope this helps. Thanks for listening to me as well!