Reply To: Dating ADD and no response to texts

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Spouses & Loved Ones Dating ADD and no response to texts Reply To: Dating ADD and no response to texts

anomalocaris
Participant

As someone with ADD, I don’t have a phone that can text, and I make sure people know this. Partly it’s because I can’t afford a smart phone, but in part, I just don’t want to go there, because of exactly what’s being discussed on this thread. Most people who text assume that you’re available to them 24-7 and they get offended if you don’t respond. Whether you’re working, driving, involved in a conversation with someone else or sleeping doesn’t seem to matter. “HEY! I texted you and you didn’t drop whatever you were doing to pay attention to me!” Because of my ADD, it’s all I can do to get through the day and handle my responsibilities. I don’t have the energy to respond to every random thought of everyone in my life. If you really need me, call me and if I can help I will… but I can’t just attend to constant random stuff all day. I’d go nuts (and it’s not that far a trip as it is…).