Reply To: What does the prescription need to say to get the Certified Generic for Concerta

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents What does the prescription need to say to get the Certified Generic for Concerta Reply To: What does the prescription need to say to get the Certified Generic for Concerta

Pump2Duncan
Participant

I had actually asked my doctor about writing my son’s prescription for Methylphenidate 27mg ER because on my insurance prescription list that drug was listed as one of the few ADHD Tier 1 drugs. And I thought it was the same as Concerta. The doctor said no. He said “ER” and “CR” are old or different drug delivery mechanisms and are NOT the same as Concerta’s delivery mechanism, hence why the insurance company has tiered it so differently. Methylphenidate 27mg ER and Concerta are listed on my son’s formulary list as two completely different drugs – not equivalent to each other. Concerta 27 mg Generic name is Methylphenidate HCL Tab SA OSM 27mg. The “OSM” being the delivery mechanism.

To ensure my son gets Concerta, he will only write the prescription for Concerta. The pharmacy fills the prescription with the generic that has the “ALZA” printed on it. We go to Walgreens. Unfortunately for me, the insurance company has tiered both the authorized-generic Concerta and the brand name Concerta as Tier 3 prescriptions. UGH!!

I would go back to the pharmacy and seek a refund and in the future ask the doctor to write the prescription for Concerta. At least from my understanding, Methylphenidate 27mg ER is a completely different delivery system from Concerta and that prescription will not get you Concerta or its authorized generic.