Reply To: What does the prescription need to say to get the Certified Generic for Concerta

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents What does the prescription need to say to get the Certified Generic for Concerta Reply To: What does the prescription need to say to get the Certified Generic for Concerta

Penny Williams
Keymaster

What did the pharmacy say about substituting a generic when the prescription said not to? Was the prescription written for Concerta, no substitutions, or for Methylphenidate ER, no substitutions? A script for Methylphenidate ER is a prescription for the generic.

When CVS once filled my son’s with one of the generics that the FDA had revoked the equivalency status on, I called them and complained and they told me to bring it back and they would back it out of the insurance and refund it. Then the doctor wrote the prescription for Concerta, “brand-name medically necessary” so the insurance would cover the brand name Concerta. I’ve heard of docs writing it for Concerta with the addition of “brand name or Actavis-manufactured generic only.” A lot of it has to do with what you’re insurance will cover. My insurance will only cover brand Concerta now since the prior generics were obviously not equivalent.

I would go back to the pharmacy and demand a refund and return on the insurance if it was written for brand and no substitutions and they filled generic.

Penny
ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism