Reply To: At what point do you start contemplating OCD as part of the issue?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond At what point do you start contemplating OCD as part of the issue? Reply To: At what point do you start contemplating OCD as part of the issue?

howe.kelsey
Participant

At the start. My therapist has been screening me for co-occurring conditions. Also helps narrow down if it really is ADHD, since most of my answers to the OCD questions sounded like ADHD responses. Although I do pick at my scalp, skin picking is generally localized for people so they do one or several things. It’s pretty bad I’ve been doing it since 6th grade and now have a few ongoing scabs on my scalp that just make the picking desire worse. But picking isn’t exclusive with OCD, but there are certain things like Sensory Processing Disorder that isn’t found in all ADHD people but is in OCD people if I’m keeping things straight.

So essentially what I’m saying is always talk your symptoms out with a medical professional and don’t self-diagnose, its easy to mistake symptoms for each other, or the root of your frustration itself can be hard to put a name on some days. My therapist gives me a lot of examples which is invaluable in answering the screening questions. Whats in our mind doesn’t always apply or does and we didn’t think it would.