Reply To: A Positive…

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents A Positive… Reply To: A Positive…

acorn2003
Participant

My son is only 9, but my nephew and niece both have ADHD. One is 18 and she has only recently been diagnosed. But ever since she got a proper diagnosis and started to take medication she has turned into an A+ student and is attending University, and doing extremely well. She did take a year off after high school, but once she figured out why she had been having difficulty over the years and got treatment, she is thriving. My nephew is 27 now and he was diagnosed with ADHD as a child, they said he would never make it through the school system, but with family support, positivity, and everybody believing in him, I am proud to say that he graduated with honours and is an extremely well adjusted and happy young man. My husband who is 52 was diagnosed with ADHD in the 1970’s and although he had difficulty as a child with self-regulation and some difficulties in his teens, so did many of his peers who did not have this diagnosis. I am happy to say that my husband is a very successful businessman with a lot of energy and drive, which has contributed to his success. Just keep supporting your son and everything will be fine. Stay positive!