Reply To: To the ADHD Partner: When you need to be liked

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Spouses & Loved Ones To the ADHD Partner: When you need to be liked Reply To: To the ADHD Partner: When you need to be liked

kearnsj00
Participant

My partner is 33 and just diagnosed last year with adhd and started Concerta. It does help but his impulsivity and poor executive functioning skills like organization and the ability to think back on previous experiences to make different choices moving forward has me in extreme frustration at times but at least now I know the reason. To be a partner if someone with adhd you need to learn the disorder inside and out and all that comes with it. Many people with adhd also have sensory processing issues and poor executive functioning skills. It is hard. My 8 year son also has adhd. And having 2 with adhd in the family is so hard. Luckily me and my youngest son do not have it although I have other mental illnesses so I get it to some extent. Lots of positive reinforcement whenever they are doing a behavior you want is critical. Dramatic praise lots of it. Positive reinforcement needs to be immediate and frequent. We are starting couples counseling as well. It’s not easy and I applaud all my adhd partners and non adhd partners that are trying to hold onto their relationship. You’re strong.