Reply To: Dating someone with ADHD with children who have ADHD

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Teens and Young Adults with ADHD Dating someone with ADHD with children who have ADHD Reply To: Dating someone with ADHD with children who have ADHD

Pump2Duncan
Participant

I’m not sure what “normal” parenting of a child with ADHD looks like. But it does sound like your boyfriend is open to suggestion and help. I do think blending two distinct parenting types into one family can be tricky and takes time, patience and open communication on both of your parts. I know I was doing the best I could with the tools I had, my husband brought some new tools to my tool set. If you bring skills he lacks that you can teach him that he’s willing to learn, that’s terrific! That’s what makes a good partnership.

When you are casually dating, this might be a hard subject to tackle. But if you’re spending significant amounts of time together as a unit, it might be time to start discussing (perhaps with your counselor) what you envision your role to be in the future if this relationship was to progress. Especially when you’re bringing two families together, I think pre-marital counseling is a wonderful idea when you get to that point so topics like this can be openly discussed.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Pump2Duncan.