Reply To: Has Anyone Had and Conquered This Issue?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Has Anyone Had and Conquered This Issue? Reply To: Has Anyone Had and Conquered This Issue?

mevondras
Participant

The scenario you describe above strikes me as being very similar to the “meltdown” of my autistic son. You may have sensitivities to touch/sound/smell that you are not aware of, and when a certain threshold is met by those inputs, your system just can’t take it, and you experience a meltdown. The recommended “recovery” ritual for my son’s meltdowns is to seek a private place in which to decompress; no conversation with anybody during this time. Breathing, doing a favorite activity, or jumping on a mini trampoline might be enjoyed during this time, in the calming place. The key is to withdraw from the inputs; tuning into your body’s reaction to stressors and keeping a record can help figure out what to avoid/expect. My son has a scale for self-assessing his level of emotional intensity (green to red). The idea is to raise self-awareness when the intensity is at a moderate level, in order to ward off the intensity of a complete meltdown.