Reply To: Connecting

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Connecting Reply To: Connecting

Penny Williams
Keymaster

I know how you feel, also introverted and quiet (and social anxiety). I find a lot of talking, especially when I’m not interested in the subject, very exhausting. That’s true from my kids as well. One good strategy is to limit how much time you’re spending together without a “buffer.” The same number of hours overall, but break it into smaller, more frequent together times. Figure out the point at which you check out, and schedule mom/kid time for a little less than that.

See if you can find some activities that you both really enjoy that you can do together, too. That will help with the authentic joy factor.

I’m honest with my kids about my threshold. “My brain gets so overwhelmed after a few minutes of non-stop talking that I can’t process what you’re saying anymore. I want to listen to everything you have to say, so let’s try to keep it to 15 minutes of you talking and me listening at one time. Ok?” Be sure you’re saying it in a way that doesn’t make them feel like they’re doing something wrong or annoying you.

Penny
ADDitude Community Moderator, Author & Mentor on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism