Reply To: I wish I could be fixed.

RJ
Participant

Hello, I’m the parent of child who was recently diagnosed with ADD. Reading your post brought tears to my eyes. I won’t pretend to know what you’re going through, because only you truly know. But I thought I’d share my experiences with you from the perspective of a parent.

Although my child’s diagnosis is new, the struggles he’s having in school is not. I find myself crying by myself at times because I don’t know what to do to help him. I’ve created org charts at home, I’ve gotten private tutors, I’ve changed diets and sleep schedules, almost anything I could think of under the sun. This is my first time visiting this forum as I’m a new registrant and I’m really hoping to learn more about other people’s experiences in hopes of finding better ways to help my child. I guess what I’m trying to say is that as a parent, sometimes we wish we had an answer to everything, boy truthfully, sometimes we’re just as lost and unsure of ourselves as our children.

Now, that does not give us the right to belittle our children in any way just because we’re clueless. That is definitely not going to help the situation. I know that you say that you’ll lose things if you move with your mother, but maybe, just maybe you’ll gain so much more than you lose. No child should ever face such tough decisions as these, but sometimes you have to. You have to do what’s best fo yourself. I don’t know if you’ve tried talking to your mother about this, but maybe you should if you haven’t. Or maybe even a school counselor or teacher. Any trusted adult. You deserve to feel safe in your environment. I really hope that you find someone to just listen to you and help you through this. Please don’t let numbers on a piece of paper discourage you. They mean absolutely nothing in the adult world I assure you. Not everyone fits the same mold and that’s okay. I truly believe that that’s what makes life so amazing. We are all special in our own way and we’re all great at something in life. It sounds like for you, that may be writing. A language arts grade can’t tell any different. Always write from the heart. Who knows, maybe you’ll touch someone’s life with your words. I can tell you you’ve certainly touched mine. If it means anything at all, I promise that I’ll never give up on my child through this journey of school. And I’ll never make them feel as your father has made you feel. Thank you for sharing and opening up my eyes to the irrespective of the child.

Just keep trying your best, love yourself, and be the best you. Nobody can be a better you than you. 😉

-RJ