Reply To: How to deal with friends who don't understand your ADHD?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults How to deal with friends who don't understand your ADHD? Reply To: How to deal with friends who don't understand your ADHD?

StillPlaysMC
Participant

I know how you feel. I haven’t met a person like this, but I’ve always wanted to so I could enlighten them.
Your friend, however, doesn’t seem like a friend. It may definitely be hard, but you might have to get a new roommate. But try asking her about it, first.
Why does she think like this? Does she have any evidence? Has she ever shown evidence? What proof does she have of her claims? Tell her how ignorant her claims are and let her know that your diagnosis was professional. Tell her how rude she’s being to you by insulting things you can’t help without bothering to fact-check them. Tell her all about ADHD to no relent. Let her know how it makes you feel, too. And how it feels to have ADHD on top of it. ADHD is very hard to live with, after all. Maybe that’ll make her sympathetic enough to stop. Maybe she’ll take it as guilt tripping. For this to work, you must know exactly what to say.
I wish you the best of luck.
-An unqualified thirteen year old boy