Reply To: How to deal with friends who don't understand your ADHD?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults How to deal with friends who don't understand your ADHD? Reply To: How to deal with friends who don't understand your ADHD?

Greene.jennifer
Participant

That’s intense. For me, I came to a realization that I was going to be a mix of the five people whom I spent the most time with and slowly started weeding people out of my life; the ones who didn’t absolutely add value to my life. This was a conscious and not emotion driven decision.

I am so sorry that you have had to go through this with someone whom is supposed to be your friend.

To address your question, I let people in my life know that I respect that they have an opinion about the issue though I gently challenge them to get more information. If they continue to be ignorant I get curious – what’s their actual beef with my psychologist’s diagnosis? Where are they coming from? People adore talking about themselves.

Just maybe, it is a way to salvage your relationship or other relationships.

If your taking the high road continuously doesn’t work, then perhaps you have grown in different directions. Painful, though a reality of the world that I have no doubt you could grow with. Thinking of and rooting for you!