Reply To: My kids and I need help

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Relationships My kids and I need help Reply To: My kids and I need help

jnlmhny33
Participant

Hi momof3! I am also a mom of 3 and I have ADHD and anxiety. I know exactly what you are going through. As I was reading your post, it was like I have been there before!! The frustration with messy rooms (that I am still struggling with my youngest daughter) and the giving up cooking because it was never what they wanted or liked is my life! None of my girls have been diagnosed with ADHD, but my oldest and youngest have the signs. My oldest had the messiest room I have ever witnessed in my entire life and my youngest daughter just doesn’t know how to clean up or organize anything. She doesn’t like homework and puts it off until right before bed or doesn’t do it at all. Her grades are fine at the moment but I need to figure out a routine so that her grades don’t go down. Thankfully she made the basketball team at school so it keeps her busy everyday and gives her some structure in her life. I wish I had some advice for you but all I can think of is to practice mindfulness. In my summer capstone course for my degree in psychology, we had to research mindfulness and appreciative inquiry. Living in the present moment teaches you to be positive and calm in every moment, no matter what is going on around you. Changing your thinking from negative to positive, although it is very difficult at first, will help bring down your anxiety levels. Since I’ve been done the class though, it hasn’t been so easy, but I have the books and they help me get back on track. If you want the names of the books I will gladly share them with you. Let me know and good luck with everything!
Jen