Reply To: No Passion No Energy No Care

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Behavior & Discipline No Passion No Energy No Care Reply To: No Passion No Energy No Care

fcamacho
Participant

MY SON IS 16 NOW. AT AGE 14 HE WAS NOT MOVTIVATED AT ALL. WE TRIED DIFFERENT MEDICATIONS FOR ADD. ALL OF THE WOULD DECREASE HIS APPETITE. 6TH GRADE HE WOULD REFUSE TO TAKE ANYTHING FOR THE ADD. THE LAST WEEK OF SCHOOL I WAS ABLE TO GET HIM UNDER THE SPECIAL ED PROGRAM. (HE WOULD BE IN A REGULAR CLASSROOM – JUST BREAK DOWN ON WORK AND ASSISTANCE FROM AN AID) IN 7TH GRADE HE WAS STILL STRUGGLING EVEN WITH ALL MODIFICATIONS PROVIDED. I CONVINCED HIM TO TRY ONE MORE TIME MEDICATION IT WAS AROUND STAAR TESTING. HE AGREED AND HE WAS GIVEN ADDERALL. WE WERE BOTH EXTREMELY SURPRISED. VERSES HIS 6TH GRADE STAAR TO 7TH GRADE STAAR HE JUST ABOUT GOT COMMENED FOR READING ! HE DID FINE THROUGH OUT THE SCHOOL YEAR. HE REFUSED TO TAKE IT AFTER THE STAAR TESTING CLAIMING NO APPETITE. AND STILL WOULD NOT SHOW ANY MOTIVATION OR SELF CARE. 8TH GRADE YEAR THE SAME. IT WAS MORE CHALLENGING. HE HAS A COUSIN IN THE SAME GRADE LEVEL- WHO HE IS VERY CLOSE TO AND WHO HAPPENS TO BE SMART AND TALL. ATHLETIC SUCCESSFUL WITHOUT HAVING TO PUT IN WORK TOWARDS THE SPORT. HIS COUSIN ALWAYS TOOK CARE AND LOOK OUT FOR HIM. STANDING UP TO ANYONE WHO TRIED TO MESS WITH MY SON. SPEAKING UP FOR HIM. DID I MENTION MY SON WAS ALSO THE SMALLEST CHILD IN HIS CLASSLEVEL AND VERY PRIVATE AND SHY. (NO ONE WOULD GUESS HE IS ADD) I FELT BAD FOR MY BABY AND ALWAYS WANTED TO PROTECT HIM EVEN MORE SO. OVER THE SUMMER OF 8TH GRADE. MY SON FINALLY GREW AND WAS NOW THE HEIGTH OF SOME OF HIS CLASSMATES. HE ALSO BEGAN TO BLOOM AND STARTED CARING ABOUT HIS GRADES. BASEBALL WAS HIS INTEREST. AS MUCH AS I TRIED TO PURSUIT IT. WE LIVE IN A RURAL AREA WHERE THE CLOSES CITY IS 1.5HR AWAY. OTHER THAN SUMMER LEAGUE THERE WAS NOT YEAR AROUND BASEBALL TEAMS LOCALLY. SO WE HAD TO WAIT UNTIL HIGH SCHOOL BASEBALL. GARDES ARE GOOD, NO CARE – WAS GETTING LITTLE BETTER BUT STILL HAD NO PASSION. 10TH GRADE YEAR HE STARTED OUT SLOW. MID YEAR I ENROLLED HIM IN DRIVER ED CLASS. TYPICAL WAS ANXIOUS TO LEARN TO DRIVE. I WAS MORE WEARY (AS MENTIONED ABOVE 13-14 YEAR OLD BEHIND THE WHEEL). HIS BASEBALL SKILLS IMPROVED AND NOW WAS SHOWING MORE MOTIVATION. STILL NO MEDICATION CONTINUES WITH MODIFICATIONS IN SCHOOL. HAS NOT BEEN ABLE TO PASS A STAAR TEST SINCE 7TH GRADE. I KNOW ITS HIS ADD. HOWEVER HE CHOOSES NOT TO TAKE AND I DO NOT WANT TO ENFORCE IT. I JUST CONSTANTLY REMIND HIM HE HAS TO UTLIIZE HIS RESOURCES (EX. NOTE, AID HELP OR EXTENDED TIME, FREQUENT BREAK) PART OF THE STRUGGLE IS HE DOES NOT LIKE TO ASK FOR HELP. HE RATHER NOT DO IT OR ANSWER WHAT EVER THAN TO HAVE TO ASK FOR HELP…THIS WORRIES ME. (THIS HABIT WILL NOT WORK IN THE REAL WORLD). DURING SUMMER A THERE WAS A SUMMER LEAGUE FOR BASEBALL WHICH HE GOT TO PLAY IN. WE ARE NOW IN OUR JUNIOR YEAR AND HIS HAS SEEM TO DO BETTER ATHELTIC WISE NO SO MUCH ACADEMIC WISE. HE WAS GOOD ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD PLAYING DEFENSE. HE IS STILL VERY CLOSE TO HIS COUSIN. COUSIN WAS MOVED TO VARSITY SOPHMORE YEAR ON ALL SPORTS FOOTBALL, BASKETBALL, TRACK. I ALWAYS WORRIED HE FELT LESS COMPARE TO HIS COUSIN (AS IF HE WAS IN THE SHADOW BEHIND HIS COUSIN) EVEN THOUGH WE NEVER COMPARED THEM. (NOT I, DAD OR AUNT) EVEN HIS COUSIN WOULD ENCOURAGE HIM AND NEVER PORTRAYED HIMSELF BETTER. THE HAVE A BEAUTIFUL REALTIONSHIP. MY SON NOW HAS A GIRLFRIEND. I’M NOT TO CONCERN ON THAT RELATIONSHIP. HE SEEMS TO BE THREADING SLOWLY. THE STRUGGLE IS STILL THERE OF HIM USING HIS RESOURCES TO GET BETTER GRADES. TO BEING SATIFIED WITH A “D” VERSES GETTING BETTER GRADES. CONSTANTLY PUSHING TO DO BETTER AND ALWAYS REMINDING HIM. I STILL STURGGLE WITH THE WAKING UP IN THE MORNING. HE STILL SHOWS NO PASSION AND NO ENERGY ON THINGS…THAT I FEEL NEED MORE ATTENTION OR EFFORT.WE ARE NOW STARTING UP BASEBALL SEASON AND HE CURRENTLY HELPS OUT ON BASEBALL TEAM AS NEEDED. HE’S PUTTING IN THE WORK FOR THE SPORT. I’M TRYING TO PREPARE HIME FOR THE FUTURE…ASKING HIM WHERE DOES HE SEE HIM SELF IN 6YRS. I THINK I GOT HIM TO THINKING. I TOLD HIM IN 6YRS YOU WILL BE 22. SOME CLASSMATES WILL GO STRAIGHT TO COLLEGE AND EARN AN EDUCATION IN 4-6YEARS. OTHERE WILL GO TO A TRADE SCHOOL AND FINISH IN 2YRS AND START WORKING. WHERE WILL YOU BE ?? STILL GOING TO SCHOOL? WORKING AT SOME FAST FOOD RESTURANT? LIVING WITH MOMMY AND DADDY? I TOLD HIM. YOU HAVE 1 MORE YEAR TO MAKE MEMORIES THEN YOUR IN THE REAL WORLD. I DONT WANT TO PUSH ON A DECISION BUT I NEED HIM TO THINK FOR WHAT COMES NEXT AFTER HIGH SCHOOL. I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN HIS BIGGEST SUPPORTER AND CHEERLEADER. HE HAS TURN OUT TO BE A RESPONSIBLE DRIVER. CALLS ME WHERE AND WHEN HE LEAVES WITH OR WITH OUT THE GIRLFRIEND. VERY RESPECTFUL….IF I COULD JUST GET HIM MOTIVATED IN HIS FUTURE!