Reply To: Am I in denial? Or is my boy just a little boy?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning Am I in denial? Or is my boy just a little boy? Reply To: Am I in denial? Or is my boy just a little boy?

Pump2Duncan
Participant

You may be completely right, and I agree with ADHD Momma. If the teacher is signaling that there might be an issue, then nothing can be hurt by having an evaluation done. At that age, the child doesn’t even realize an evaluation is occurring.

To play devil’s advocate though, your experience sounds a lot like my son’s kindergarten year. My son’s teacher said the same things and it wasn’t until the end of the year that the special ed teacher told me what ADHD Momma just told you. The teacher was basing her opinion off of her observations of comparing my child to my child’s peers. The special ed teacher was a lot kinder with her words, which made me less defensive, but she said exactly the same thing. My son was emotionally immature, he showed signs of developmental delays, impulsiveness, anxiety, etc. At the end of that meeting I agreed to the evaluation.

Think of it this way, if they do an evaluation and there is no issue – no harm has been done. But if the eval does show signs of ADHD or something else, early intervention is key. There’s really nothing to lose.