Reply To: My son is 19 and has not graduated high school

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning My son is 19 and has not graduated high school Reply To: My son is 19 and has not graduated high school

sydmom
Participant

It is hard to get these kids into addiction centers, because most places don’t still understand it. My son is 22. We went through all of this same stuff. Not doing the work in school. He graduated a year early because I pulled him out of school and took him to get his GED. WHICH, he passed with perfect scores. How absurd is that!!?? he is now almost 23 and nothing has changed. He is still playing video games and not working. He can’t hold down a job for more than a few weeks, no matter what shift he takes. I kicked him out several times. He just lands on his grandmothers couch who lets him stay, because quite frankly he would probably just find somewhere else to crash or sleep under a bridge. It seems that this is a much bigger problem than I thought after reading all of these stories. All of these kids seem to be around the same age too… I wish there was an answer, because its such a waste. He is a very kind, nice, and sweet human. Just not productive at all. He also tells me with out hesitation that he is not motivated to go to work or do anything, and that he is not depressed. He just doesn’t want to.