Reply To: Do I ask my 22yr old to leave or let him stay?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Do I ask my 22yr old to leave or let him stay? Reply To: Do I ask my 22yr old to leave or let him stay?

deb91
Participant

I’m sorry you’re having such a hard time now. This is where I’m afraid my son is headed. He too is socially naive, ADD, has anxiety, and is crazy about his games. He’s 14, but seems to have lost all motivation to do anything but play video games. I don’t have much advice, but just wanted to reach out and let you know you are not alone! What treatment has your son received for his conditions? Is there a therapist or job coach who could work with him on interview skills? What about volunteer work? Less pressure, but gives you experience and chance to develop some work skills. . You mentioned money as an issue, but maybe if he could get some volunteer experience it would boost his confidence in an interview situation. Maybe you could condition him staying on doing at least volunteer work and working on getting his certificate. I’m in US, so I’m unfamiliar with resources in New Zealand for young adults with disabilities. Is there a rehabilitation service that helps people with disabilities to find jobs. We have a government agency here that provides that kind of service. Sorry not much help. Wish you much luck and blessings!